Date : October 2, 2020
Topic : Animals and their Young
English, like many other languages, has special names for offspring.
Some names for young ones are diminutives. A diminutive is a word
made up of the root, or part of the root and syllable added to show smallness.
Example: cigarette, doggie, rosette.
These are just a few of the animals and their young.
Complete the following sentences by writing the young one that best matches the information. Make it singular or plural as needed.
1. Nine lively _______________ were ranged round the sleeping sow.
2. When the sheep bleated, the ______________ ran to her at once.
3. The mother bear will defend her ______________ with her life.
4. During the night, Daisy, the Jersey cow, gave birth to a ______________.
5. The wolf stood motionless, listening, its three _______________ beside it.
6. The teacher said that the _________________ would soon grow into frogs.
7. One of the fluffy yellow _______________ had climbed on to the mother hen’s back.
8. The little _______________ could not keep up with the nanny goat.
9. The monkey swung through the trees, an _______________ clinging round its neck.
10.The mare cantered round the field followed by her ______________.