Date: September 23, 2020
Subject: Social Studies
Topic: The Legacy of the Tainos
Here’s a brief look at taino history:
Although science and technology have improved greatly since the
time of the Tainos , many things that we do in today’s society are
still influenced by them. Some of these include:-
- We still eat fruits, such as, papaya, guavas, star apples etc.
- We plant and eat crops, such as, cassava, sweet potatoes, yam, corn (maize)
- We continue to eat bammy, pepperpot soup and jerk.
- Words of Taino origin are still used, such as, hammock, hurricane, canoe, barbecue and tobacco.
- Tobacco is still smoked by people today and we continue to make carvings from wood.
Activity: Jamaica Primary Social Studies Workbook 4 page 7 exercises F
Homework: Jamaica Primary Social Studies Workbook 4 page 7 exercise G and page 8 exercise H.