How do we show respect and loyalty for our country?
In this Unit, students will examine the ways in which as Jamaicans we honour and show respect for our country. They will discuss and devise strategies to improve respect shown by Jamaicans for national symbols, emblems and positions of authority. Students will learn to observe protocol associated with national emblems and symbols through simulation exercises.
- Develop working definitions and use correctly the following concepts: emblem, flag, coat-of-arms, symbols, nationhood, anthem, crest, bearing, motto, patriotism
- Explain what national symbols and emblems are and analyze their importance to nationhood.
- Identify and describe the national symbols of Jamaica.
- Examine images which show the changes in the Jamaican Coat-Of-Arms, justify the changes made
- Tell the meaning of each colour on the Jamaican flag.
- Recite and interpret the National Anthem and National Pledge
- Select a group/organization, describe its purpose and values then design symbols to reflect its purpose and values
- Observe etiquette to be adhered to regarding national symbols and emblems
- Assess the role and responsibilities of the citizens in acknowledging and maintaining pride in our national symbols.
- Show respect for our national symbols and emblems.
- Show respect for individuals who hold public office