Choose one of the conjunctions in brackets to join each pair of sentences.
- Hurry up ______ you’ll be late for the cinema show. (or, but)
- Jane was embarrassed _______ of her silly answer. (but, because, or)
- He tried to enter the classroom _______ it was locked. (but, and, because)
- She did not know if to order a milkshake _______ an ice cream. (because, or, but)
- He wanted to go to bed early______ he had a long day ahead. (but, because, or)
- She came first in test _____ received a special award. (but, and, or)
- I am strong ______ you are stronger than I. (because, and, but, or)
- I can run faster _____ you can. (that, than, if)
- I was waiting at the office ______seven this morning. (since, until)
- I always pray ______ I go to bed. (as soon as, before)
when after while before so
as soon as until because although
from the list above, fill in the appropriate conjunction in the spaces provided.
- Mary always interrupts the class _______ students are working.
- I refused to answer the stranger _______ he asked my name.
- He went to play with his friends ________ he had done his evening chores.
- The thief stole the lady’s purse ________ she was walking on the pavement.
- You must always wipe your footwear on the mat _______ you enter the house.
- I’ll inform you of the details ________ I reach the scene of the incident.
- Ralph and Suzie got excellent results ________ they worked very hard throughout the year.
- Some student do well ________ they do not give their best efforts.
- There was no water in the refrigerator ________ I had to drink some straight from the tap.
Match the two parts of the sentence by selecting the appropriate conjunction.
The first one is done for you.
Complete the following dialogue by using the appropriate conjunctions.
Judy: I want you to go with me to the mall.
Jane: I can’t _______ I don’t have permission from my mother.
Judy: When will you get permission?
Jane: _______ I speak with my mother.
Judy: When will your mother be home?
Jane: At six o’clock.
Judy: When will I know if you got permission?
Jane: _______ my mother gives an answer.
Judy: Do you think she will say no?
Jane: She may, _______ she is not certain I will be safe.
Judy: Please tell her we’ll be safe.
Jane: I will ________ she may still have doubts.
Judy: What should I do?
Jane: Don’t go anywhere _______ I call.