Jamaica is a small island located in the Caribbean. In total, the island is only 4, 244 square miles (*10,991 km) and has a population of approximately 2.7 million people. It is also broken up into 14 parishes, listed here in no particular order – Hanover, St. Elizabeth, St. James, Trelawney, Westmoreland, Clarendon, Manchester, St. Ann, St. Mary, Kingston, St. Andrew, St. Catherine, St. Mary, Portland and St. Thomas.
St. Ann is the largest parish on the island measuring 1,213 square kilometers, while Kingston is the smallest measuring 25 square kilometers.
Sevilla de la nueva, St. Ann was Jamaica’s first capital, followed by Spanish Town, St. Catherine between 1662 and 1872, the current capital of Jamaica is Kingston.
The fourteen parishes are grouped into three counties, Cornwall, Middlesex, and Surrey. Note however that these counties have no administrative relevance to the island. The counties were established in 1758 by the British.
The Island was first named “Xaymaca” (meaning “Land of Wood and Water” or “Land of Springs”) by the indigenous Tainos. It was known as “Santiago” after the Spanish possession and then named “Jamaica” after it became an English colony. Today it is also called the Commonwealth of Jamaica.
St. James Montego Bay
St. Ann St. Ann’s Bay
St. Mary Port Maria
Portland Port Antonio
St. Thomas Morant Bay
St. Andrew Half Way Tree
St. Catherine Spanish Town
Clarendon May PEn
St. Elizabeth Black River